Battle of the Books
This year, and every year, we would like every child to find an author that they love. It is the key to enjoying reading, which is our goal for our pupils to achieve. Therefore, we have re-launched an exciting and ‘revamped’ challenge to the children called ‘Battle of the Books’ which is accessible to children in Reception up to Year 6.
We challenge each child, in Reception and Key Stage 1, to read 12 books meeting 12 different criteria, and children in Key Stage 2 to read 8 books meeting their criteria. The criteria have been carefully designed to re-ignite your child’s love for reading as well as opening minds to a variety of authors. If a child is experiencing a variety of authors, they are able to see: how different stories are structured; how characters are developed and how different settings can be described. As a result, this will have a positive impact on their own writing skills and style.
Why are we so passionate about reading? When children read widely and often, they attain better and can access what school has to offer.
In the words of the brilliant author - J.K. Rowling
'I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book'
- All children can enter the Battle of the Books from Reception – Year 6. These books are to be read alongside your child's usual reading book.
- Each year group will have a set criteria to read throughout the year. Reception and Key Stage 1 children need to read 12 books and write a review for each. Key Stage 2 need to read 8 books and write reviews for each by 3rd July 2022.
- Some of the books will be found in school and others will need to be borrowed from local libraries or from each other.
- As your child reads each book, an adult at home will need to sign the competition sheet to say they have completed the book. Then PRINT THE BOOK REVIEW FORM and complete it – handing it to their teacher. The class teacher will then sign the competition form and your child will move their name on the Battle of the Books competition board in class.
- The first person in each class to complete the challenge (with detailed book reviews) will get the chance to make an exciting video review of their favourite book for their class web page (permission will need to be provided for this), choose a book, a hot chocolate and receive their badge from the Battle of the Books vending machine.
- Your child can read as many books as they want. They will be awarded a badge when they complete at least 12 books (for Reception and Key Stage 1 and 8 books for Key Stage 2) and completed book reviews (completed to a standard their class teacher expects).
- The book lists provided show quality texts which they can choose from but they can choose any age-appropriate book that meets the set criteria.
Battle of the Books winners - 2021